Apr 2, 2016

The Science Behind The Past And Why It Matters Today


I once heard Steve Jobs quote about connecting the dots in his commencement speech to Stanford University students and never heard this concept. He mentioned only by looking at your past you can connect the dots forward. I so agree with this because until you clear up the past, review it, ponder, meditate or pray is when you understand it was all meant for your good. 

My past has been like a rollercoaster. I've had my share of ups and downs and I don't regret those times as it's made me who I am now. I am a strong sexy female. Sometimes we have to experience it so we appreciate the present and I'm very greatful believe me! Because I'm a risk-taker I've taken many risks in life and all I can do is look back and say had I not took a risk I'd probably be living a boring life and not experience it! 


Ever since I can remember I've always tried something new to learn in choosing my ultimate career. While attending school I've always worked it was just something that I needed to do to make extra money. My most memorable experience was working as a telemarketer for "ERA" Real Estate in which my boss was the CEO. He was looking for someone without experience to sell homes. When I heard real estate it was like Oh, wow how prestigious! When I got hired on the spot I thought I was going to an office and it was the total opposite. I was going to his home. He was a christian family man very nice to me and so I worked out of his garage that was built into a cute office. 

He gave me MLS listings and a fat book like a bible. I said What in the world?! My job was to call every number and cold call to get leads. I had no idea what I was doing but I had a script and then tweeked it to my liking. I needed to be myself and sound like myself even back then. I needed to understand what I was doing and why. I always prepared myself for everything. So I learned by experience. Lo and behold I sold 2 homes. My job entailed of getting the leads and giving the information to my boss, then would set up appointment to meet up at his office. He did the rest which was showing the house and if it sold, it sold and I got paid! Chi-Ching! $$$ 

This is how I learned cold calling. Tele-marketing is not such a prestigious job but what kept me going was the money. When I would see the money coming in I was getting addicted however knew I couldn't do this forever. I needed to get back to school and was only doing it part-time. My boss said I would be a good real estate agent and mentioned if I was interested I could let him know and he'd help me get the license. Because back then others opinions mattered and was told real estate salespeople lie and trick people and they didn't see me in that business I didn't pursue it. 

I then held other corporate jobs in logistics and transportation and had some great times and other times they were not so great. I was not fullfilled. The last company I was in merged with another company when I lived in Arizona and although through a connection I was offered a new position in Scottsdale, AZ in same industry I declined. Decided to return to Cali and the beaches. Was missing my family and friends and that is when I heard of hiring of Longshoremen's at the port of Los Angeles/Long beach through a lottery pool.

I applied because my father said I should do it. I was not too excited about it but said heck I need to get back to work. 10 years of hard work! Hustle! One thing I realized was money can be addicting and I was in bondage. I worked weekends, holidays, rain or shine and whenever there was work. Missed birthday parties, weddings, celebrations all to make money. It was crazy now that I think about it. What is the point of making money if your not enjoying it as you are working 24/7 around the clock?

Best experienced I received was here at the ports. Learned how to lead, be a leader, work safe and be alert. The responsibility was huge and if someone died at work it would be due to unsafe practices or because someone didn't watch their back. It was very united just as are all unions. My strength was challenged at this job and will power sometimes I'd surprise myself but lots of prayer worked. I was very close to God as without him working out there would be foolish.

Decided to end working there after giving it lots of thought I didn't want to be a slave to the money and needed to work at a safer environment where it's fun. Where I'm learning, traveling and that is when I returned back to Network Marketing. It was hard to leave the job as a longshoreman very hard! I was addicted to making that money even at the expense of my freedom! I know sounds ridiculous..! So what happened next changed my life for the better.... Got into a car accident!

After my car accident I couldn't go back to work and said well, I guess God decided for me then.... I continued my network marketing business at home since I had no car and it didn't pan out as I thought as the the business was centered in having home parties and without a vehicle there is not much you can do! Did my best what I can however the rest left it to God. I've learned many valuable experiences in Network Marketing with personal development even though money not soo much. 

Since I'm a volunteer for The City Of San Pedro a door opened to learn how to have leadership skills in order to work for  a city job within the area of mental and health. Studied for 6 months and got certified by teachers from Harvard. It was an incredible experience and learned soo much. That is when I found out I needed additional education besides my college and credits from this school. Lots of requirements and that is when I said well, at least I learned how to coach and took it online. Lightbulb turned on and said eyeballs are on social media and many need help in how to overcome obstables, mindsets, etc.... 

And now I'm here as a certified life coach, blogger and getting eyeballs to my work by hollywood by simply putting myself out there and learning from  famous Sally Hogshead CEO of How To Fascinate she teaches how to brand and market online and offline. Copywriter for Mini Cooper, Godiva Chocolates, Coca-Cola, Harry Winston Jagermeister ect.... and speaker for many other companies. Just purchased her book "Fascinate" new edition 2016 coming out mid April. 

Truly obsessed with marketing and branding.  As a catalyst this is what gives me passion. And so I ask myself must I of went through all of this to get here? Yes. See in life we have many choices and must do our diligence however if we are blind and not sure where we are heading this can happen but I had no regrets. I do what I want and can take my business anywhere in the world. I blog as I travel and that is pretty sweet! :) 

I don't know what the future holds and the more I think of it the more anxious I can get so I'm not even going to think about it. I'm just moving forward by connecting the dots and greatful I am in this position to call the shots. I decide whether it's good or not. Whether I need more education or skills. Life is interesting i tell ya! :) 

So appreciate the detours because you are where you are suppose to be! :)

XO! 

No comments: